Friday, December 21, 2012

Making the change

Becoming a vegan is a huge life change. Not eating meat and dairy was easiest part me after seeing all the cruelty. Though it is still frustrating sometimes to have to read all the labels and put lots of things back. I just have to remind myself that I'm still learning about all the great things I now get to eat. Plus I always breathe a sigh of relief when I get to the produce section.

The next step for me is going through my closet to get rid of leather, down, or any other items that were made cruelly. This, surprisingly, has been the most difficult part of my journey thus far. I've been putting it off this last week for sure- particularly going through my shoes. You'd think in the scheme of things that would be one of the easier tasks! I know I feel so much better when I do finally tackle that part of my life.

The step after that for me is researching cosmetics that are not tested on animals. Peta has a list, but I hear varying things from people on different companies and will likely need to do a fair amount of my own research.

When I spoke with a friend about it, she said it took her and her family at least a year to fully make the lifestyle transition. This was very encouraging and made me feel better about my progress thus far and the direction I was headed.

Sometimes it's hard to pat myself on the back for what I've already done when I feel like there's still so much to do. I try to remember the importance of this so I don't get cynical, bitter, or angry. The goal is to be compassionate right?

So that is where I'm at right now in my vegan journey ^_^

No comments:

Post a Comment