Thursday, December 13, 2012

The $125 Mystery and Quinoa Explosion

Cooking my first vegan dinner was not as easy as I'd hoped. On the way to the store, my fiancee and I had a heart to heart about my sudden shift of belief and lifestyle. He didn't understand what was going on and seemed to think that I had just based my decision on watching a movie. I was hurt by this, but explained that was only the catalyst. I had spent my entire day researching online, creating a meal plan & grocery list, and connecting with the vegan community. I found I already had vegetarian and vegan friends that were extremely supportive of my decision. I was already in the process of planning a girls vegan cooking night to try out new recipes.  It was obvious that he didn't feel as passionately as I did about the violence toward animals as I did- and my new found passion really seemed to rub him the wrong way. I explained that I didn't expect him to feel the same way and it was ok that he didn't as long as he was supportive to me. After an exhausting and confusing conversation we headed into the grocery store. I excitedly shopped of my grocery list and could see meals coming together. I was especially excited to buy quinoa, as I ate it a lot as a kid and knew it was something I already loved. As I unloaded our cart, I looked up to check the bill and only half way through checking it was nearly $200! Shocked and embarrassed I began to put things back. Our pride hurt, we still forked out money that almost overdrew both our bank account. Astonished, we reviewed the receipt to find our checker put in the quinoa wrong and we were charged an extra $112. I got a refund (that wont hit my account for 3 days) 
and  we headed home- grumpy and hungry.





 Still, I excitedly set out to cook the quinoa as soon as I got home. I didn't take into account that I had never actually made quinoa and that I hadn't cooked anything in well over a year. I mis-read the quinoa directions (which are actually extremely simple) and experienced a mini quinoa explosion. As it boiled over and smoked on the burner, all we could do was laugh (well my fiancee also added some head shakes and eye rolls). Once I recovered from that, the rest was smooth sailing and the dish turned out delicious! 





Overall, an exhausting day but all worth it an in retrospect, very funny.






No comments:

Post a Comment