Tuesday, December 18, 2012

The talk...

So, I had my first real confrontation with the family over being vegan. My brother had invited us over for Christmas Eve and was planning to make dinner. He texted me about his plans to make a ham, turkey, and mac and cheese. I felt awful, but I told him that sounded great and that we would bring some vegan goodies too. He was not happy and let me know he'd already purchase 35lbs of meat and that was the basis of 95% of his meal. Again... I felt just awful. I guess I just assumed that he'd seen my almost constant posts on facebook about being vegan (including my profile picture). I thought if anything he would understand since he went gluten free last year. I completely understand why he would be so upset though, especially if he already bought all the meat. I tried to reassure him my son would eat plenty and maybe he might consider inviting extra people over to join us.

After everything I've seen and learned, I just can't stand the thought of putting meat or dairy in my mouth. It's such a big change so quickly, so I can understand why people would be frustrated and not take me seriously.  This is a huge live change for me and I'm so excited about it. I only hope my family can be understanding despite the major inconvenience.

Sad Vegan : (

No comments:

Post a Comment